Latest Search Engines Facts, Stats & Trends – All You Need to Know
Updated: 27 Apr 2023
Ever wondered how the magic of search engines happens?
Well, let us look deeper into these powerhouse tools that help us find all sorts of information, from news articles to product reviews and recipes. You won’t believe it, but some pretty interesting stuff is going on behind-the-scenes!
Get ready for an in depth dive as we are going to explore 10 popular search engine’s facts.
What is Search Engine?
Looking for something online? You’re in luck! Search engines are here to help make your search a breeze.
From Google and Bing all the way down to DuckDuckGo – these powerful tools offer up the most accurate and relevant results based on keyword searches you enter. They’re continuously updated to provide even more valuable information – just what everyone needs when searching the web!
Let’s get started to learn some general facts about search engines in detail.
General Facts about Search Engines
So, guys, here are some available facts about search engines:
|Common SE Facts|
Discover the Top 10 Search Engines and Their Fascinating Facts
Search engines enable users to search the internet for information, products, and services, among other things.
But, guys, you should be aware that, in addition to the Google and Bing search engines, some other search engines are available on the internet. And yes, they serve millions of search queries daily.
I know it’s unexpected for you, but don’t worry—I’m going to tell you about ten different search engines and some interesting facts about them.
The top 10 search engines include:
- Microsoft Bing
- Internet Archive
1. Uncovering the Amazing World of Google
Google has revolutionized the way we look for information! With over 92% of market share and an estimated 4 billion searches per day, it’s hard to imagine life without this essential tool.
People rely on Google not just because it provides answers to their questions but also suggests new ideas, possibilities and a world of knowledge at their fingertips — truly changing our lives forever!
Here are some facts about the Google search engine:
- Larry Page and Sergey Brin started this company in 1998 while both graduated from Stanford.
- Google was initially called BackRub.
- The name “Google” comes from the number “Googol,” which is a mathematical term. It’s easy to remember that a googol is just a 1 followed by 100 zeros.
- People worldwide use Google to search for 2.5 trillion different terms every year.
- Google’s Twitter account has 24.4 million followers.
- Google’s first tweet was the binary term “I’m feeling lucky.”
- PageRank is Google’s search engine algorithm.
- After going down for 5 minutes on August 16th, 2013, Google saw a 40% drop in global Internet traffic.
- Yahoo was interested in purchasing Google’s search engine technology in 1997 for $2 million.
- To date, 80 languages have been available on the Google site.
- Smartphones are responsible for 33% of all Google searches.
- The date September 15th, 1997, marks the day the domain name Google.com was registered.
- There will be 3.6 million people searching for jobs on Google.
- Sites that take too long to load are irritating, and 53 percent of visitors would give up if they waited more than three seconds.
- Nearly four million customers will use Google Maps to locate a business.
2. Discovering the Power of Microsoft Bing
Bing has revolutionized the search engine market with its unique search capabilities. With more than 5 billion searches every month, Bing is becoming increasingly popular and a go-to option for many Microsoft users looking to explore the web.
Ready to join this growing base? Give it a try – you won’t be disappointed!
Here are some facts about Microsoft Bing:
- In 2009, Microsoft introduced Bing as its new search engine, succeeding Live Search.
- Bang was proposed as an alternative name for Bing.
- Bing is the U.S.’s second-most-used search engine compared to Google.
- 40 different languages can be used on Bing.
- Every day, nearly 900,000,000 searches are conducted on Bing.
- Compared to Google users, Bing users spend 35% more.
- Bing has 3.08% of the search engine market.
- People over the age of 35 make up 71% of Bing’s user base.
- Approximately 50% of Bing users are female.
- There were 1.2 billion users of Bing in May 2022.
- The cost-per-click (CPC) on Bing is up to 60 percent less than on Google.
- The average CTR on Bing is 2.83%.
- Between 30% and 40% of Bing searches are about travel, cars, health, and money.
- 69% of Americans use Bing to find information about well-known brands and websites.
- In 2020, “Google” was the most-searched word on Bing.
3. Unlocking the Secrets of Yahoo!
With decades of technology experience, Yahoo is a powerful search engine that has maintained its relevance despite the growth of other search engines. Despite taking a little longer in recent years to keep up with online trends, it still offers users an unmistakable and valuable service including email accounts, extensive news coverage and top-notch financial advice.
Here are some facts about the Yahoo search engine:
- Yahoo! came out in 1994, so now, in 2023, it is 29 years old.
- The famous exclamation point in “Yahoo!” was added because “Yahoo” was already the name of a sauce company few people knew about.
- Yahoo’s income is about $5.17 billion right now.
- Today, about 7,000 people work for Yahoo.
- Today, more than 200 million people worldwide use Yahoo.
- Every day, about 26 billion emails are sent through Yahoo.
- In 2019, Alexa ranked Yahoo as the 10th most popular website domain.
- Yahoo used to have its own platform for social media.
- Microsoft tried to buy Yahoo at one time.
- Bing is the engine that makes Yahoo! Search work.
- At the end of 2013, Yahoo permanently shut down Mail Classic.
- Twice in 1995, Yahoo updated its logo.
- Yahoo! is most widely used by adults over the age of 65.
- Yahoo’s owners thought twice about buying Google.
- Yahoo! is still the news site people in the U.S. look for the most.
4. Baidu: The Leading Search Engine in China
Baidu is China’s most popular search engine. It is considered one of the most important search engines in the world because it has so much power in China. It was started in 2000 and has become a leader in Chinese-language search since then. It offers many services, including search, maps, images, news, and more.
Here are some interesting facts about Baidu’s search engine:
- Baidu started up in 2000, just two years after Google did.
- Baidu comes from a Chinese poem and means “a hundred times.”
- People often say that Baidu is the “Google of China.”
- Baidu is the fifth most popular website in the world.
- Baidu was one of the first companies to make technology that could recognize voices.
- Baidu’s computer system is called Baidu Yun.
- Baidu has put a lot of money into A.I. and self-driving cars.
- Baidu has more than 740 million users who use it monthly.
- Baidu has more than 70% of the market in China.
- Baidu has more than 60,000 workers all over the world.
- Baidu registers 6 billion daily queries.
- There have been 1.1 billion downloads of the Baidu app.
- 580 million people use Baidu’s app every month.
- The value of Baidu is $16.41 billion.
- Baidu’s ranking is based on the homepage of a website.
5. Discovering the Russian Giant: Yandex
Yandex is the most popular search engine in Russia, with millions of people using it daily. It gives accurate search results and features like image search, maps, news, and comparing prices. Yandex has its own advertising network called Yandex.Direct. This lets businesses use targeted online advertising to reach their target audience.
Here are some facts about the Yandex search engine:
- Yandex is the largest search engine in Russia.
- It was founded in 1997 and is headquartered in Moscow.
- Yandex offers localized services and has a strong presence in the Russian-speaking market.
- Yandex partners with major technology companies such as Google and Amazon.
- Yandex has a market share of over 60% in Russia.
- Yandex has over 100 million monthly active users.
- The company’s revenue in 2020 was $2.3 billion.
- Yandex.Direct has over 1 million active advertisers.
- The search engine processes over 2 billion search queries per day.
- Yandex’s browser has over 50 million users.
- The company has more than 10,000 employees.
- Yandex’s email service, Yandex Mail, has over 35 million users.
- The company’s cloud storage service, Yandex.Disk has over 45 million users.
- Yandex’s maps service has over 100 million monthly active users.
- The company’s music service, Yandex.Music has over 60 million users.
6. Everything You Need to Know About DuckDuckGo
Worried about your data and privacy online? DuckDuckGo (DDG) is the search engine for you!
It’s quickly growing in popularity due to its commitment to respecting user safety with a secure and private browsing experience. DDG has got you covered when it comes to searching responsibly – no worries necessary!
Here are some facts about the DuckDuckGo search engine:
- DuckDuckGo is a search engine focusing on privacy.
- DuckDuckGo does not track you or make search results more relevant to you.
- DuckDuckGo is used in more than 100 different languages.
- Every day, more than 100 million searches are done on DuckDuckGo.
- In the last 5 years, the number of DuckDuckGo users has grown by more than 200%.
- The search engine that comes with the Tor browser ( stops someone from knowing what websites you visit if they are watching your connection) is DuckDuckGo.
- On the Google Play Store, 4.5 stars are given to DuckDuckGo.
- On the Apple App Store, DuckDuckGo scores 4.7 stars.
- In 2021, 100 million searches were done daily on the search engine.
- Google’s bounce rate is 28.46%, while DDG’s is 11.43%.
- About 80 million people use DuckDuckGo.
- 180 people now work for DDG.
- On DDG, about 3 billion searches are done annually.
- DDG has 2.42 percent of the U.S. search market.
- On DDG, the cost per click can be 10 times less than on Google.
7. Ask.com – Get the Answers You Seek
Ask.com may not be one of the top contenders when it comes to search engine usage, but that doesn’t mean it’s completely forgotten! This well-loved service still uses its unique feature set and extensive database for finding answers to all kinds of specific questions – leaving millions satisfied with their search results each day.
Here are some interesting facts about the Ask.com search engine:
- Ask.com first came out in 1996 as “Ask Jeeves.”
- Ask.com was one of the first search engines to use the question-and-answer format.
- Compared to Google, Bing, and Yahoo, Ask.com has a smaller market share.
- Ask.com uses human editors and computer programs that can learn independently.
- The search engine interface is clean and easy to use.
- Ask.com has between 201 and 500 workers.
- Ask.com makes between $50 million and $75 million annually.
- 54.18% of the people who use ask.com are men, and 45.82% are women.
- Most visitors are between the ages of 25 and 34 (desktop).
- According to the stats for the last three months of 2022, ask.com’s traffic has grown by 3.31% (desktop).
- In the last three months of 2022, more than 42.3 million people visited Ask.com.
- The people who use ask.com are interested in finance> Banking > Credit and Lending > News.
- It works in more than 10 languages.
- Ask.com gets the most traffic from direct traffic, which makes up 96.20% of desktop visits.
- Most social media traffic to ask.com comes from YouTube, Facebook, and then WhatsApp Webapp (desktop).
8. Search Smarter and Greener with Ecosia
Looking for a way to help tackle climate change? Ecosia is a search engine that puts the environment first! For every online ad clicked on their platform, money is put towards planting trees and combating deforestation. It’s an eco-friendly alternative to more popular search engines like Google or Yahoo – pick up your mouse and make a difference today!
Here are some facts about the Ecosia search engine:
- Ecosia was founded in 2009 and is based in Berlin, Germany.
- Ecosia has over 15 million monthly active users.
- This search engine is available in over 150 countries.
- It has a partnership with Bing to provide search results.
- Ecosia also offers Chrome, Firefox, and Safari browser extensions.
- Ecosia has planted over 100 million trees.
- Ecosia donates at least 80% of its net income to tree-planting initiatives.
- It has over 50,000 volunteer tree planters.
- Ecosia has a mobile app for iOS and Android.
- Ecosia is a certified B Corp, meaning it meets strict social and environmental performance standards.
- Ecosia supports over 20 tree-planting projects worldwide.
- Every time someone uses Ecosia to search, money is generated to plant trees.
- The company has a long-term goal of planting 1 billion trees.
- Ecosia has a large and dedicated community of supporters.
- Ecosia offers a sustainable and eco-friendly alternative to traditional search engines.
9. Explore the World of AOL.com
AOL was once a popular internet service provider and search engine, but its importance has declined recently. With the rise of Google as the dominant search engine, many users have moved away from AOL’s search platform. Today, AOL is focused more on media and content than serving as a primary search engine.
Here are some facts about the AOL.com search engine:
- AOL was launched in 1985.
- It was one of the first internet service providers in the United States and became a significant player in the early days of the internet.
- AOL.com has 10,350 employees.
- 43% of AOL.com employees are women, while 57% are men.
- The average employee at AOL.com makes $78,838 per year.
- On average, employees at AOL.com stay with the company for 4.3 years.
- AOL has 174 million unique monthly visitors.
- 500,000 people used AOL Messenger when the service shut down.
- Over 35 million people used AOL to connect to the internet.
- AOL shares 0.1% of the U.S. desktop market.
- Total monthly AOL US desktop searches are 178 million.
- 66% of AOL traffic comes from mobile.
- Millions of people still use AOL.com daily to check their email and surf the web.
- AOL.com is also an app for mobile devices, allowing users to access their email, news, and other content.
- 75,000 publishers work on the AOL ad network.
10. Revealing the Secrets of Internet Archive
The Internet Archive is an invaluable search engine for anyone wanting to look into the past of our digital world. It provides access to billions upon billions of web pages, software programs, videos and audio recordings as well as books – a researcher’s paradise! With its vast sources it serves not only historians but also everyone interested in discovering what was before us on the internet.
Here are some facts about the Internet Archive search engine:
- The Internet Archive is a non-profit digital library founded in 1996.
- It has an extensive collection of over 400 billion web pages and over 4 million text, audio, and video files.
- The Internet Archive is considered one of the largest digital libraries in the world.
- The Internet Archive provides free access to over 1.7 million books.
- The Internet Archive has over 20 petabytes of data.
- The Internet Archive has over 500,000 registered users.
- The Internet Archive has over 20 million active users.
- The number of indexed pages in the Internet Archive is more than 450 billion.
- The Internet Archive has approximately 8.5 million monthly users.
- About 43% of its traffic originates from the U.S.
- This search engine receives about 40% of its traffic from mobile devices.
- The Internet Archive is a relevant and reliable historical and cultural research source.
- The Internet Archive updates its indexes every two months.
- The top five countries from which Internet Archive receives the most traffic are the United States, the United Kingdom, India, Canada, and Australia.
- This search engine has a user-friendly interface.
I hope this blog post about “Facts about Search Engines” has been informative and insightful for you. Throughout this article, we have covered a range of interesting and essential information about search engines, including their evolution, inner workings, and impact on our lives.
By understanding the facts about search engines, you can better optimize your online presence, whether for personal or business use. From using keywords effectively to improving website rankings, these insights can help you achieve your goals in the digital space.
Thank you for reading and I hope you found this article helpful.
Remember to keep learning and exploring the exciting world of search engines!
All Your Questions Answered: FAQs Here
Here are some mostly frequently asked facts based question about search engines.
What is the best search engine?
The best search engine depends on personal preferences and needs. Google is widely considered the best search engine due to its accuracy, relevance, and user-friendly interface.
Who invented the search engine?
Alan Emtage, a student at McGill University in Montreal, created the first search engine in 1990. The first search engine (Archie) indexed files on public anonymous FTP (File Transfer Protocol) sites.
Which search engine is older than Google?
Yahoo! is older than Google. It was founded in 1994 as a directory of websites, while Google was founded in 1998 as a search engine.
What are the 5 most commonly used search engines?
The most widely used search engines are:
How have search engines changed over time?
Search engines have evolved significantly since the first search engine, Archie, was created in 1990. They have become more sophisticated and user-friendly, and have played a major role in shaping the way we find and access information online.
Please Write Your Comments